University Police Sergeant
Emporia State University currently has a University Police Sergeant vacancy with our Police and Safety department located in Emporia, KS.
The person selected for this position will join a team of commissioned police officers who serve and protect the students, employees, and visitors of Emporia State University. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Patrol assigned areas and respond with action appropriate to given situations
- Complete written reports as required
- Pursue, apprehend and/or arrest violators of the law, exercising care to ensure legal and constitutional soundness
- Respond to emergency situations
- Establish and maintain professional contacts with University employees, residents and others
Compensation and Benefits:
Pay starts at $26.47 to $27.47 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
Emporia State University also offers the following benefits:
- Paid Time Off – 272 hours per year (176 hours of vacation, and 96 hours of sick leave)
- Employee Tuition Waiver – Attend classes tuition free after 1 year of employment
- Spouse/Dependent Tuition Assistant - 20% off of tuition for each year of employment (100% off after 5 years of service)
- Paid Parental Leave – Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- KP&F Retirement and other voluntary retirement options
- Employer-provided life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and accidental death insurance
- Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent and at least three years of law enforcement experience.
- Must maintain all required certifications, including KLETC, firearms, first aid, and CPR. Valid driver's license required.
- Specialized training may be required based on job duties and responsibilities.
Members of the Police and Safety team must display the ability to:
- Effectively communicate verbally and through writing, and actively listen
- Control emotions during stressful situations
- Build positive relationships with a variety of people, particularly in difficult situations
- Accurately assess your abilities and limitations
- Analyze situations and events logically, and organize the parts of a problem systematically
Necessary Special Requirements:
- At the time of appointment, you must take and pass a drug screening test approved by the Division of Personnel Services and be required to pass a physical and psychological exam administered by the hiring agency.
- This position requires the use of a firearm for law enforcement duties and therefore, candidates cannot have been convicted of, and must be free of any diversions from, a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence crime as set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 922 (d) (9) and (g) (9).
- Emporia State University P&S is offering a $1,500 sign-on bonus, payable in two installments. Lateral transfers will receive the first installment ($750) upon successful completion of the ESU P&S Field Training Program.
- The second installment ($750) will be paid following your 1-year employment anniversary.
Open until filled.
Click APPLY NOW to send your application today!
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Emporia State University considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.